Do you notice a musty odor every time you open your dishwasher? You may have a mold problem in your dishwasher drain hose. Mold loves to grow in dark and damp environments, making your dishwasher an ideal breeding ground. But don’t worry, with a little effort, you can get rid of the mold and keep your dishwasher clean and fresh. This how-to guide will provide you with tips on how to clean mold from the dishwasher drain hose.
Method 1: Vinegar and Baking Soda Solution
- Start by unplugging your dishwasher and locating the drain hose.
- Remove the clamps holding the drain hose in place and detach the hose from the dishwasher.
- Using a funnel, pour a mixture of 1 cup of distilled white vinegar and 1 cup of baking soda into the drain hose.
- Let the solution settle in the hose for approximately 30 minutes.
- Rinse the hose thoroughly with hot water.
- Reattach the hose and turn the dishwasher on to the drain cycle.
Method 2: Bleach Solution
- Turn off the power to your dishwasher by unplugging it or switching off the circuit breaker.
- Locate the dishwasher drain hose and detach it from the disposal.
- Fill a large bucket with hot water and add 1 cup of bleach.
- Soak the drain hose in the bleach solution for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the hose with hot water, making sure to remove all traces of bleach.
- Reattach the hose to the disposal and turn on the dishwasher to the drain cycle.
Method 3: Dish Soap and Water
- Turn off the power to your dishwasher and locate the drain hose.
- Detach the drain hose from the dishwasher and place it in a large container.
- Fill the container with hot water and add a liberal amount of dish soap.
- Allow the drain hose to soak in the soapy water for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the hose with hot water, making sure to remove all soap residue.
- Reattach the hose to the dishwasher and turn it on to the drain cycle.
Prevention is key to avoiding mold growth in your dishwasher. Regularly clean the interior of your dishwasher, including the racks, spinning arms, and seals. Additionally, make sure to scrape any food particles off of dishes before loading them into the dishwasher. These simple steps will help keep your dishwasher clean and mold-free.