Unaesthetic dark streaks and stains on various surfaces indicate that mold fungus has settled in the house. It not only spoils the appearance of the room, but is extremely dangerous to health.
Therefore, as soon as you notice black mold on the walls, ceiling or in any other places, you should immediately take measures to combat it. Let’s find out how to do it correctly to eliminate the infestation quickly and effectively.
What is black mold
Under this name, about three hundred fungi similar in properties, which, nevertheless, belong to different strains. All of them feed on the remains of dead organic matter, reproducing by spores. And they do it with catastrophic speed. A mold colony the size of a square meter produces about a hundred million tiny spores an hour. They spread through the air and spread to all nearby objects and surfaces.
Dark gray, greenish, or black spots and streaks appear on infected areas. If you look at them closely, you can see that the spots are not flat. They look like pieces of fluffy tissue or absorbent cotton. “Lint” are individual specimens of the fungus. Each of them develops very quickly and begins to produce new spores. It is impossible to limit their reproduction rate.
Varieties of pathogenic microorganism
Let’s briefly characterize the main strains known as “black mold”.
- Aspergillus niger. A saprophyte fungus that settles in damp, warm places. Found in bathrooms, damp books, air-conditioners, etc. Harmful to health.
- Aspergillus fumigates. Initially lives on infested fruits or vegetables. Under favourable circumstances migrates to any other surface. Harmful to allergic people and children.
- Cladosporium. Occurs inside and outside dwellings. May be dangerous to immunocompromised people.
- Chaetomium. Rare enough to occur indoors, it can live on any surface. Causes severe poisoning if ingested, which can be fatal.
- Penicillium. Lives on a variety of surfaces. Industry uses it to produce medicines and exclusive cheeses. Harmless to humans, except for some strains.
By the appearance of a layman can not determine the type of pathogenic microflora. Therefore, the means to combat it are used the same. Although it is believed that aspergillus strains are most often settled in homes.
Causes of black mold on walls
Pathogenic microflora spores easily enter every home, but they do not settle in all. They remain only where they find conditions that are favorable for life and development. This is, first of all, high humidity and heat. Let’s list the main reasons for the appearance of black mold on the ceiling, walls, floor and other places.
- Lack of effective ventilation.
- Poor heating, which causes the walls to freeze.
- Small leaks or leaks in heating, water or sewage systems.
- Sudden temperature fluctuations that cause condensation.
- Leaky joints between walls.
- Little or no ventilation.
Where mold lives
Mold is unpretentious and actively grows on any substrate. However, it has its favorite places. Here is their list.
- Plastic windows. Especially vulnerable are fully sealed structures, which are rarely opened.
- Concrete floors and walls. If the joints between planes are designed with mistakes, fungus will almost certainly settle here.
- Plasterboard finishes. The material absorbs moisture and is extremely reluctant to “release” it into the air.
- Household appliances. Especially susceptible to infection are appliances in contact with water or condensate. These are washing machines, dishwashers, air conditioners, etc.
Most often mold colonies appear in bathrooms, kitchens or bathrooms. But if the conditions are favorable for them, they can settle in any room.
What are the dangers of black mold
Not everyone understands what can be dangerous black mold in the bathroom and other places. The tiny spores are a strong pathogen. They spread with the flow of air, easily get not only on the surfaces of objects, but also inside the body. In addition, mold colonies spread mycotoxins. These are toxic substances that adversely affect the human and animal body. All this causes painful lesions of internal organs. Here is a list of diseases that can be triggered by mold fungi.
- Sinusitis and rhinitis.
- Pneumonia and bronchitis, which can progress to asthma.
- Acute allergic reactions.
In addition, physicians believe that long-term exposure to spores and mycotoxins increases the risk of cancer and causes intoxication of the body.
Black mold on the walls in the apartment: how to get rid of
And here begins the very actions, which at the very beginning we compared to the breakdown of the monitor: the actions will be enough. So, how to get rid of fungus, including in the bathroom or on the walls?
- To begin with, it is necessary to clean up the nidus of mold fungi that have already appeared. This can be done with an ordinary scraper, brush, stiff sponge and other improvised means.
- After that, you need to treat with antiseptics, which you can buy at any construction store. Just explain for what purposes you need a preservative, and the seller will prompt the right option. Just do not forget about safety: as a rule, such antiseptics are quite dangerous not only for mold, but also for the man himself: a good respirator and latex gloves – that will be quite enough to be safe.
And now we will report one sad news: if black mold fungus has already managed to affect interior items, such as a sofa or a carpet, it is pointless to try to clean them from it with the hope that everything will go away. With this action, you will reduce the entire work of mold removal to zero. Alas, such furniture is better thrown in a landfill.
How to avoid black mold on walls
It is not difficult to insure yourself against a new appearance of mold fungi, it is necessary to follow a few simple rules.
- Always control the humidity in the room. To do this, repair or install ventilation, seal wall joints, adjust heating.
- Maintain a stable temperature in the house. Fluctuations are extremely undesirable.
- Plumbing equipment and utilities should be in good working order. It is important to fix all leaks in time.
- Ensure air circulation in the rooms. To do this, move a little large furniture away from the walls, disassemble and remove all unnecessary things.
- Regularly carry out cleaning with preventive use of antiseptic solutions. Wipe all surfaces with them.
The problem is easily solved at the initial stage. If mold colonies have grown too much, it is much more difficult to cope with them. In the most difficult cases, invite specialists to carry out professional treatment.
Many people do not know what is dangerous Aspergillus black, especially in the house or apartment. But it is one of the worst enemies for people and their property. There are many mold remedies available at the moment, but unless you address the main cause of mold – humidity, temperature differences or musty air – all these remedies and measures will only be a temporary relief. So before you hit the search engine with “How to remove black mold in the bathroom,” do everything you can to prevent it from appearing.