For mold to appear on dishes, it is enough that it has stood for some time unwashed, with leftover food, in a warm place. If the plates, pots, cups, pans and other utensils are washed, the fungus will simply have nothing to feed on them. But if you still forget to wash something, and then you see a black deposit inside the dishes – do not get upset. Moldy deposits can be removed with hot water, detergents and chemicals. The hardest thing to fight mold on ceramic unglazed surfaces.
You can get rid of mold in pots with the help of:
- baking soda;
- hydrogen peroxide 3%;
- laundry soap;
- liquid detergents.
All this should be accompanied by a kitchen sponge for washing, wire scrubbing pads and hot water.
Different methods to get rid of mold on dishes
The treatment methods depend on the type of dishes and your logistics. If you have a dishwasher at home, the task is greatly simplified. It is enough to remove visible mold from the dishes (scrape off the remains of food, as it is always done in this case), immerse everything in the machine and run the appropriate mode of washing.
But it may also happen that there is no tap with hot water in the house. Then the water is boiled directly in a pot or other mold-covered dishes.
If there is a massive mold infestation, experienced hostesses advise to wipe everything with paper (old newspapers can be found everywhere), put it in a large pot, pour water with a steep solution of baking soda, put it on the stove and let it boil for at least half an hour.
Boiling water and baking soda is very helpful if you need to wash a large number of dishes – it works like a dishwasher.
In addition, boiling water kills fungi on all materials, including porous materials. Metal utensils are boiled separately from breakable ones.
How to get rid of the smell of mold on dishes
Use a sponge soaked in vinegar to wipe it off, allow it to dry, and then wash it down with hot water.
If there is mold in the cup, it is first washed to remove the visible plaque, then filled with hydrogen peroxide or vinegar and let stand. After that, it is washed under running hot water with detergent.
According to blackmoldoff.com, another algorithm for action, if mold is found in a mug or cup: make a baking soda paste and apply it to the dishes after the initial wash. Let it stand until the baking soda dries, then wash again. Such a treatment also removes the unpleasant smell.
The specificity of earthenware is that it can not be ignited on the stove with water. But the oven will help: primarily washed pots or jugs, cups or plates are filled with cold water, put in the oven, and then heated the same way as when heating milk.
It is not recommended to use liquid detergents to wash clay products, especially unbaked.
Mould in the clay kettle can be removed in the following way: after removing the stale brew you should wash and wipe the kettle well and put it in the oven. Heat it at the maximum temperature, leaving it to cool inside, then wash it well again.
When mold is found in a cupboard with dishes, vinegar will help to get rid of it: a sponge is moistened with vinegar essence, then wipe all furniture surfaces. To avoid fungus settling on your crockery, don’t leave undried crockery in the cupboard.
To prevent mold in dishes, you need to wash it in time aunglazednd properly care for each type of utensil. For example, in villages in earthenware crockery mold was very rare because all the housewives, washed the pot, hung it on the wicker to dry, says R.Mammadli. Heat treatment of pottery after washing protects it from a musty smell.
It is easier to prevent the nuisance than to try to get the stains and smell out later. There should not be a single drop of grease or food residue left on the washed items. If you are not sure about the quality of washing, repeat the procedure and thoroughly wipe or dry the kitchen utensils.
If the cabinet smells musty, check the cereals: long storage in containers with buckwheat, wheat, and other cereals settles not only food moths, but also colonies of fungi. Spoiled groats should be thrown out, and the container where it was stored, thoroughly washed with hot water and soda and dried.
And most important: to get rid of mold once and for all, provide a good exhaust system in the kitchen and treat the walls and other surfaces, if there is mold on them. Wash not only the dishes, but also the kitchen itself.