All about Moldy Oranges

What to do if yesterday the orange was healthy, and today it already has white or green mold on it?

Moldy oranges can be a real nuisance, but it’s important to understand the signs of a moldy orange and how to handle them properly. Here’s what you need to know about moldy oranges.


The most obvious sign of a moldy orange is the presence of visible mold on the outside of the fruit. Mold can appear as a white, gray, or black fuzz on the surface of the orange. It may also have a musty smell.

Is Moldy Orange on the Outside Dangerous?

Moldy oranges on the outside are not necessarily dangerous, but it’s best to avoid eating them. The mold can spread to the inside of the orange, and eating moldy oranges can cause health problems.

See also: Moldy bread

How to Clean Moldy Oranges Before Eating

…or I have to throw out the whole orange if it has mold on it?

If the mold stain on the peel of the orange is small (about the size of a fingernail or something similar), you can cut off that part of the orange along with the pulp (say, half or a third) and eat the rest.

Of course, it’s important to make sure that the part of the orange you’re going to eat is a healthy color and firm, as a normal ripe orange should be. Also, if you feel that the orange tastes “weird,” spit it out and don’t eat it.

Do I Have to Throw Out the Whole Orange if it Has Mold on it?

Yes, it’s best to throw out the entire orange if it has mold on it. The mold can spread to the inside of the orange, and eating moldy oranges can cause health problems.

But, as I explained above, if the sign of mold is minor, then cut off the unhealthy part with stock (and throw it away) and eat the pulp of the remaining orange. It’s no big deal, I’ve been doing this for years ))

What Happens if You Eat a Moldy Orange?

Eating a moldy orange can cause health problems, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. It can also cause allergic reactions in some people. If you think you’ve eaten a moldy orange, it’s best to seek medical attention.

What to Do with Other Healthy Oranges That Were Lying Around?

No, you shouldn’t throw away all the oranges. They are protected by the peel. Just try to eat them as soon as possible, otherwise they will also start to get actively moldy.

How Do I Keep Oranges from Getting Moldy?

The best way to keep oranges from getting moldy is to store them in a cool, dry place. Make sure to check them regularly for signs of mold, and discard any oranges that show signs of mold.

In general, try to buy as many oranges as you can eat in 2-3 days. Healthy oranges won’t go bad in that amount of time.


I enjoy acquiring knowledge and sharing it. I am a long-time health advisor and blogger for over 12 years. Understanding the dangers of black mold to people, I felt it necessary to share with readers the basics of fighting and preventing black mold in homes and other living spaces.

Black Mold Off