If you discover black mold in your home, your initial reaction may be to throw away everything affected. However, this is not always necessary. To determine whether an item needs to be thrown away, you should clean it properly and assess the level of damage. If the mold is visible on paper-based materials such as books, albums, or photographs, you should dispose of them immediately.
For dry-clean only items, it’s best to consult with a professional. Generally, if an item is absorbent or porous, such as carpet or ceiling tiles, it may need to be thrown away. To prevent further mold growth, it’s crucial to remove all affected materials, no matter how challenging it may seem. If you have valuable items with sentimental or monetary value, professional sanitization may be necessary.
Remember that you need to resolve any issues causing mold growth and dispose of items contributing to it that can’t be cleaned. With proper cleaning and assessment, you can determine which items need to be replaced and which can be saved.