In a recent study, researchers from Cornell University discovered that commercial sea salts can harbor mold. This contradicts conventional wisdom that salts are sterile ingredients.
How salt or salt water destroys mold
The salt that is present in water is what causes mold spores and other single-celled organisms to become dormant. You have to keep the area around the organisms wet in order for the process of dehydration to proceed. For preserving smaller amounts of food or clothing, you can use a cloth that has been soaked with saltwater.
The situation of the mold spore in salt water is comparable to that of a person who is trapped in a lifeboat; the water all around them is deadly. On the other hand, in contrast to the person in the lifeboat, the mold spore is unable to just ignore the water. In order to restore balance, water molecules travel through the spore membrane and drown the spore in salt water. Salt water has a lower concentration of water molecules than fresh water does, therefore this helps to achieve the desired result.
Salt has to be dissolved in water in order for it to be an effective agent against mold. This can only happen if the atmosphere around it is damp. The mold can be eradicated, however, by spraying the area with a salt solution and maintaining a moist environment with saltwater. Salt, on the other hand, is corrosive, which means that it can destroy wood surfaces and speed up the rusting of metal; it is not exactly the best natural mold treatment.
How effective is this method in fighting mold in the home?
Using salt or salt water to kill mold is a very effective method that has been used for centuries. It is effective because it dehydrates mold spores.
This happens because water molecules in the salt dehydrate the organism by flowing through their membranes. It is the same process that occurs in lifeboats on the ocean.
However, it is important to keep in mind that this is a long-term treatment and not a cure for the problem. It is best to address the source of the moisture that caused the mold to begin with.
Another option that has been found to be effective is vinegar. It is a good alternative to chemical based cleaners and can be easily used at home.
Tea tree oil is another very effective natural antifungal that can be applied to moldy areas. Mix one teaspoon of the essential oil with a cup of water. Add this mixture to a spray bottle and apply it to the affected area. Leave it for some time and then wipe it off with a damp towel.
What experts recommend for fighting black mold in the home?
One of the most effective ways to prevent mold from growing in your home is to control moisture levels. This means repairing leaks and managing your ventilation.
It’s also a good idea to use dehumidifiers and air conditioners, especially in humid climates, to keep humidity at a low level.
Using a mold-mitigating spray to kill black mold is another way to kill it without harming people or pets. Simply mix one part baking soda with five parts distilled white vinegar and spray the affected area.
Once the area is clean, wipe it with a rag to remove any leftover traces of mold. This will help prevent it from coming back in the future.
How to use salt correctly to get the best effect
Salt kills mold spores by dehydrating them, which starves them and prevents them from growing. However, it should be used in a solution and not just sprinkled onto the surface of the object.
The best way to use salt to kill mold is to create a solution of equal parts water and salt. This is an effective and safe method that doesn’t require any harsh chemicals or pesticides.
Another good natural mold-killing method is to spray hydrogen peroxide. It’s a great option for clothes, carpets, furniture, and more.
Vinegar also is a good alternative, as it can be combined with baking soda to form a foaming substance that can be used to scrub surfaces with a brush. This method can be particularly effective in bathrooms or kitchens, where the moisture levels are higher than usual. It should be sprayed on the moldy area and left for an hour or so before cleaning off. After that, any residual vinegar can be washed away with water.